Most of the popular cellphone manufacturers partner with certain carriers to lock their devices using carrier-imposed locks (software codes) to prevent their customers from using other cellular networks. They do so to increase their sales and network usage.
While this favors phone companies and carriers, it limits your experience because you can only access specific networks. But all isn’t lost for you. Software developers have created programs that you can use to unlock your phone.
If you want to unlock your phone, here are the top carrier unlock programs and their benefits.
Benefits of Carrier Unlock
You may wonder why so many people still prefer to buy locked smartphones while there are so many cellphone brands that don’t lock their phones. It’s because locked smartphones have their fair share of benefits.
So, most phone users prefer to buy locked ones and unlock them later. Fortunately, it’s completely legal to unlock your smartphone. However, you need to understand how the various carrier-unlock programs work because this process varies from one carrier to another.
Even if you’re current cellphone isn’t locked, you may want to change the carrier for financial reasons. Unfortunately, you may not be able to move to a new carrier if they’ve limited their services to specific phones. So, eventually, you’ll have to unlock your phone to access the new service.
Here are the main benefits of carrier unlocking your smartphone.
When you sign up with a carrier, they’ll try very hard to sell you their cell phone so that you can purchase one of their payment plans and sign a contract with them. However, you can save a great deal of money by using your current cellphone.
Unfortunately, many carriers won’t allow you to access their service on a different phone. That’s where the carrier-unlock software comes in handy. It allows you to remove the software code imposed by the carrier so you can access the carrier’s service without buying a new smartphone.
Fortunately, the process of unlocking your phone isn’t expensive or complicated. You just need to get the right carrier-unlock software.
When you travel overseas, the first headache you have to deal with is the change of cellphone service provider and plan. Even if you buy one of the local prepaid sim cards sold in kiosks at the airport, you may not be able to use the local carrier service if your smartphone is locked.
So, you’ll still need to unlock your phone. Once your phone is completely unlocked, you can travel to any country without worrying about staying in touch with your loved ones and colleagues back home.
When you register with a new carrier, you’ll be required to sign a contract with them, especially if they’re giving you a new cellphone at a discounted price. This contract holds you hostage because you can’t move to a different carrier before the agreed duration.
That’s how carriers ensure they make their money back after giving you an expensive smartphone at a low price. But you can save yourself from the hassle of signing stressful contracts by unlocking your current cellphone.
While most carriers insist on using their cell phones, many of them will still give you the same payment plans as your existing cellphone. That way, you won’t be penalized for moving to another carrier because you wouldn’t have signed a contract with the old carrier.
Although many smartphones now have two SIM card slots, you can’t use the dual-sim functionality with SIM cards from different carriers if the smartphone is locked. You have to unlock it first. This functionality allows you to connect to two carrier services simultaneously.
With the dual-sim option, you can cut the overall cost of calls and data by choosing the most pocket-friendly plans. Furthermore, you won’t have to worry about service outages because you can easily switch from one carrier to the other.
Selling Your Device
In an emergency that requires quick cash, one of the easiest possessions you can sell to raise money is your premium smartphone. But this isn’t possible if it’s carrier-locked. So, unlocking it as soon as possible is the right thing to do.
Switching Carriers with Your Old Phone
As noted above, it’s very hard to switch your carrier services without buying a new phone because most carriers insist on using their carrier-locked phones. But with an unlocked phone, you can switch carriers at will without worrying about the extra cost of purchasing a new phone.
Unlocking your phone also means that you can easily switch to a more pocket-friendly SIM-only plan or prepaid plan. You can compare different plans from different carriers without compatibility issues.
Carrier Unlock Software Review
With so many carrier-unlock software choices in the market today, you’re likely to have trouble finding the right one for your phone. Here are several reviews of the top carrier unlock programs that you can use to unlock your phone.
AnyUnlock is a carrier unlock program designed to unlock carrier-locked smartphones. This free-to-download software is specifically suitable for Apple cell phones and tablets. It’ll quickly unlock your iPhone or iPad devices from various carrier-imposed locks.
- Fast – AnyUnlock removes passcodes instantly, and you don’t have to be tech-savvy to use it.
- Full unlock – It allows you to completely unlock your Apple Touch devices from various locks, including passcodes, iCloud activation locks, Apple ID locks, SIM locks, MDM locks, and iTunes backup password locks.
- Professional – You’ll have access to a team of professionals who have been in this industry for over ten years.
- Reliable – AnyUnlock offers 24/7/365 support and advanced technologies that guarantee you the highest success rate.
- Specifically for Apple devices – AnyUnlock is specifically designed to unlock Apple devices.
How to Unlock a Phone with AnyUnlock
First, understand that AnyUnlock comes in two versions: the trial version and the activated version. The trial version doesn’t perform certain critical functions, including Apple ID, screen passcodes, screen time passcodes, MDM lock, iTunes backup encryption, iTunes backup password recovery, iCloud activation locks, iOS password recovery, and, SIM locks.
So, if you want to perform any of these functions, you have to go for the activated version. If you want to remove the SIM lock from your iPhone, here are the steps to follow:
Download AnyUnlock – iPhone Password Unlocker on Your Computer
You’ll use your computer to remove this lock. So, make sure this carrier unlock tool is downloaded onto your computer. Use a stable internet connection to download it. Once it’s downloaded, launch it on your PC and choose “Remove SIM Lock” mode.
Use a USB Cable to Connect Your iPhone to Your PC
Connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable and click the “Start Now” button. Allow the tool to detect your device. Once your phone is detected, a “Remove SIM Lock” interface will pop up.
Jailbreak Your iPhone
Switch Off Wi-Fi, Remove and Re-insert the SIM Card
Don’t start unlocking your device while the Wi-Fi is on. Also, remove the SIM card and re-insert it. Once you’ve removed the SIM card, enter the Home Screen. Then go to Settings > WLAN > tap Forget This Network to remove all Wi-Fi connections, including the ones in “My Networks”. Then, turn off WLAN. Re-insert the SIM card into the phone and click the “Continue” button to unlock your phone.
Dr. Fone SIM Unlock
Dr. Fone SIM Unlock is free-to-download software designed to help you keep your phone working perfectly by removing all locks imposed by your carrier. This software is compatible with iOS and Android devices.
Dr. Fone is considered to be one of the most effective carrier-unlock software for Android devices. It also backs up information and restores deleted data.
- Full recovery – It allows you to recover deleted information from your Apple and Android devices.
- Back up and restoration – It backs up your data and restores deleted data.
- Data extraction – Dr. Fone can extract critical data from your damaged device and transfer it to your new device, including your WhatsApp chats.
- Unlocking – It unlocks both Apple and Android devices, including iPhone’s Apple ID and locked screens.
- Erase – Dr. Fone will help you to erase data from your device.
- Dr. Fone may not work with older devices.
Universal Advance Unlocker
This is a free-to-download carrier unlock application that unlocks a variety of phones including iOS and Android devices. It unlocks devices by generating unlock codes that are based on algorithms that use the IMEI. Your device is connected using a COM port.
- Free – This app is free to download.
- Universal support – It supports multiple devices, including iPhone and Android models.
- Bugs – The beta version has unresolved bugs.
- Older iPhones – It only supports older models of iOS devices.
Universal SIMLock Remover
Universal SIMLock Remover is designed to unlock SIM locks from a variety of mobile phone brands to make them compatible with different carriers and networks. It removes all restrictions and security codes and restores your device to the default setting. This tool is licensed as freeware that is compatible with PCs and laptops with Windows 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.
- Fast – It quickly removes the SIM lock.
- Variety of models – It contains an organized list of phone models.
- Full compatibility – It’s compatible with all phone models.
- Regular updates – It updates the list regularly.
- Outdated – It has an old-school interface
- Doesn’t do recovery – It doesn’t have data recovery settings.
- Doesn’t remove passwords – It’s not for unlocking devices protected with passwords.
Dr. Fone iOS Unlock
This is a carrier unlock tool that helps you to unlock your iOS devices like iPhones and iPads. It’s quick and safe.
- Screen unlock – It allows you to remove the phone lock screen, MDM, Apple ID, etc.
- Virtual location – It changes GPS location for iOS and Android devices.
- WhatsApp transfer – This tool allows you to transfer your WhatsApp chats to another phone.
- Data recovery – It recovers data from your damaged device.
- Data eraser – It can permanently erase data from your device.
- Subscription fee – You have to pay a subscription fee to use Dr. Fone iOS Unlock.
- Old devices – It mainly supports older versions.
GalaxSim Unlock is an Android SIM unlock software designed specifically for unlocking Samsung Galaxy phones. These phones are normally carrier-locked, preventing their users from experiencing their full potential. So, if you own a carrier-locked Samsung Galaxy phone, you need this GalaxSim Unlock tool.
- Friendly – It’s very friendly to the user and easy to use.
- Lock status info – It not only unlocks your device but also gives you detailed information about your device’s lock status.
- EFS backup – It allows you to freely back up EFS.
- Full unlocking – It ensures that your device remains unlocked, even after resetting or unrooting, wiping, or flashing it.
- No unlock code – It doesn’t require an unlock code.
- Not free – It uses an in-app purchase method, which is quite complicated.
- Not universal – It doesn’t support all devices.
Device SIM Unlock phone
This is an IMEI SIM unlocking application developed by Unlock.io. It’s a safe app that unlocks a variety of phones using an IMEI code. It also ensures that your device remains eternally unlocked, even after updates.
- It’s safe and easy to use.
- It’s fast and reliable thanks to its IMEI code.
- It unlocks a wide range of phones and removes all locks set up by all carriers.
- It only works with Android phones.
This is a free-to-download app developed by Expert Partners for unlocking locked phones. It can unlock a wide range of devices, including iOS and Android devices.
- It unlocks many devices.
- It’s available worldwide.
- It’s free to download.
- It contains ads.
- It contains bugs and crashing errors.
Online Carrier Unlock Software
Apart from the downloadable carrier unlock apps, you can also use online programs to unlock your phones. Here are the main online carrier-unlock platforms.
DirectUnlocks is a web-based SIM unlock tool that allows you to unlock your phone instantly and directly without downloading it. It unlocks phones from any carrier network. This tool uses IMEI codes to unlock phones without affecting their warranties.
- It offers speedy SIM unlocking services.
- It offers fully remote SIM unlocking services.
- It unlocks your phone permanently.
- It’s not free.
- It might take a while to unlock your phone.
Doctorism is an online platform where you can unlock your phone. It’s designed to simplify the whole process of unlocking a phone. You just need to fill in an online request form and indicate the brand and model number of your phone, as well as your carrier and current location. Then, you’ll be provided with detailed instructions to unlock your phone.
- It unlocks your phone permanently.
- You don’t have to download any app.
- It unlocks even blacklisted phones.
- It doesn’t affect your phone’s warranty.
- The blacklisted phone remains blacklisted even after unlocking.
- The process can be long at times.
- It’s not free.
This online platform unlocks any mobile phone brand using an IMEI code. You just have to key in important details about your phone and carrier network. Then you’ll receive instructions to unlock your device.
- It unlocks your SIM without root.
- It unlocks all phone brands.
- It offers manual and automatic EFS backups.
- It allows you to see the current lock status.
- It’s easy to use.
- The process of unlocking your phone can be long.
- It’s not free.
This online platform is paid for, but you can use it for free when you use TrialPay. You are only required to provide important details about your device, including its model number, IMEI number, and the carrier network you’re on. Then, you’ll be guided throughout the unlocking process without downloading any apps.
- You’ll get your unlocking code in just a few minutes.
- It unlocks most phone brands.
- It eliminates the risk of malware because you don’t download anything.
- A money-back guarantee if the unlocking is unsuccessful.
- It can’t unlock all phone brands.
- Only the trial version is free.
With these carrier-unlock options, you can easily and safely unlock any phone brand. So, when you forget your password or you want to switch from one carrier to another without buying a new phone, you should use one of these apps or online platforms to unlock your phone. Fortunately, most of these options are available for free.